Official Professional Biography
Adam Wierman is a Professor in the Department of Computing and Mathematical Sciences (CMS) at the California Institute of Technology. He is the director of the Information Science and Technology (IST) initiative and served as Executive Officer (a.k.a. Department Chair) of CMS from 2015-2020. He received his Ph.D., M.Sc. and B.Sc. in Computer Science from Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, 2004, and 2001, respectively, and has been a faculty at Caltech since 2007.
Adam’s research strives to make the networked systems that govern our world sustainable and resilient. He develops new mathematical tools in machine learning, optimization, control, and economics and applies these tools to design new algorithms and markets that can be deployed in data centers, the electricity grid, transportation systems, and beyond. He is best known for his work spearheading the design of algorithms for sustainable data centers, which led to significant industry adoption and was named a Computerworld Honors Laureate.
He is a recipient of multiple awards, including the ACM SIGMETRICS Rising Star award, the IEEE Communications Society William R. Bennett Prize, an NSF Career award, and multiple teaching awards. He is also a coauthor on papers that have received of best paper awards at a wide variety of conferences across computer science, power engineering, and operations research including ACM Sigmetrics, IEEE INFOCOM, IFIP Performance, and IEEE PES.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
I am committed to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in my research group, in my courses, within the CMS department, at Caltech more broadly, and within my research communities.
- Diversity: I recognize that diversity, in all its shapes and forms, strengthens us both culturally and intellectually.
- Equity: I will fight for equal treatment of all people, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, or any other attributes that are completely irrelevant to academic and research potential.
- Inclusion: I will work to create an inclusive working environment, so that everyone feels their voices are heard and their contributions are recognized.
- ACM Greenmetrics Conference co-Chair
- ACM Greenmetrics Program Committee co-Chair
- ACM Greenmetrics Steering Committee
- ACM Sigmetrics Vice Chair
- ACM Sigmetrics Board of Directors
- ACM Sigmetrics Program Committee co-Chair
- ICCCN Program Committee co-Chair
- Simons Institute Program co-Chair for “Algorithms & Uncertainty”
- NetEcon Program Committee co-Chair
- YEQT Conference co-Chair
- ACM Transactions on Measurement and Performance Evaluation of Computer Systems (TOMPECS) Editorial Board
- ACM Transactions on Internet Technology Guest Editor
- IEEE Transactions on Network Science & Engineering Editorial Board
- IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing Editorial Board
- IEEE Transactions on Networking (ToN) Associate Editor
- INFORMS Operations Research Associate Editor
- INFORMS Journal of Computing Associate Editor
- Queueing Systems Theory and Analysis (QUESTA) Editorial Board
- Sustainable Energy, Grids, & Networks (SEGAN) Editorial Board
- Performance Evaluation Editorial Board
Program Committees (each listed only once)
- ACM EC
- ACM e-Energy
- ACM Greenmetrics
- ACM MAMA
- ACM Sigmetrics
- IEEE ICDCS
- IEEE Green Computing
- IEEE SmartGridComm
- IFIP Performance
- INFORMS APS
- INFORMS MSOM